While attending a wedding two weeks back, I noticed lots of people taking pictures throughout the ceremony. I have often criticized this tendancy of people to choose "seeing through the camera" almost as if it is better than seeing in real life. Another example can be found at any concert. Look around at people who are watching large chunks of the show through their camera lense. I feel that in these situations, people become so focused on preserving memories from events that they forget to actually watch them. I find myself at shows telling friends to put their camera's down and actually watch the show, otherwise what are you preserving if you have no memory of ever watching the show with your own eyes?
Back to this wedding that I was at. Whenever the parents didn't get a 'good' photo of the brides during the ceremony, they would shout "wait, pose like you are doing that again! I missed the shot!" I kept thinking to myself, if the essence of photography as Scruton would say, is to preserve a copy of a moment, yet you intentionally stage the moment to get a photo of it. What exactly are you getting a photo of? Will these people remember that this was not their first kiss, it had actually taken place a few moments before and was then recreated for a photograph to be taken? I am confused by this common tendancy. I'm sure we have all done it at one point or another...
Question:
does anyone have an opinion as to why?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment