Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Response to Betsy's question on morality

Do you think most people's decisions are based in their morality?

I would have to say yes, I do think that most people make decisions based on their personal morality. What I can't say, is how exactly this morality is formed on a person to person basis. Possibly there could be a mixture of biology and environmental factors. This question also reminds me of the chicken and the egg dilemma. There has been much dispute whether or not violent (or immoral) pornography causes violence in people. I would think that this is not the case but rather that people who are violent (or socially considered immoral beliefs) are more likely to view violent pornography.
People are tied heavily to their moral beliefs, we can see it in politics. Although politics are designed to make decisions on behalf of the people as a whole, politicians are constantly basing decisions off of their personal morals. People cannot help but base decisions on morality, it is the core of our conscience. Of course not all decisions are based on morality, it is all within context, but I think that through the arts people put their morality to the test consistently to prepare for real-life decision making.

Question:

What do you make of violent role-play pornography and erotica where the participants are not actually being harmed but violent scenarios are depicted through fantasy? Is this harmful to human development?

1 comment: