As such a general question I could easily say that depending on their perspective, people could gain everything as much as nothing from art, but I feel like that is a cop-out. I should first note that the best definition I can come up with to describe art in a general sense (not specific to any one form) would be that it is the result of a humans attempt to document expression or emotion. If this is true then I think that adults use art just as children, as an outlet. I wouldn't however go as far to describe art as being necessarily an outlet which is socially acceptable. Although this is true in many cases where various art forms are widely praised and generally any artistic initiative is seen as positive but there are many pieces of art which are said to be obscene or morally wrong such as back in October 2007 Costa Rican artist Guillermo Habacuc Vargas supposedly captured a stray dog and chained it in a gallery without food and water with a sign on the back wall made of dog biscuits stating “Eres Lo Que Lees” (”You Are What You Read”).
This is an interesting case in art for two reasons. First, there was a huge backlash when word of this art project was released and thousands of people who heard about the story through primarily internet sources, they began flooding facebook groups and blogs with petitions to stop the exhibition. Like we see in this case, people do not see all art as being worth the symbolism which the artist is trying to express. Second, after the initial buzz of this exhibition, skeptics began to search for the story's origins and were not able to find a clear source. It is still debated as to whether or not the exhibition ever actually took place. This shows the ease at which people can sometimes be swayed by art just as easily as mass media.
With this being said, I would say that the creation of art would likely have positive effects on the artist (creator/performer/etc) for it's creative outlet qualities. As far as the effect art has on the experiencer, I would have to say that getting a glimpse of another's point of view, no matter how you interpret it, will more often than not benefit you rather than have adverse effects.
Question:
What do you think about the influence that mass media has on some art (such as 'mainstream' genres)?

No comments:
Post a Comment