What factor do you think differentiates "pornography" and "erotica?"
I think that the main difference between pornography and erotica is that generally, pornography has the primary purpose of causing sexual arousal where erotica tends to primarily function first as art or literature which falls into a genre of sexual themes or qualities. Although there could be pornography out there that has artistic qualities, pornography speaks to the primary intent of the piece to cause the audience to become sexually aroused. Erotica may also cause the audience to become sexually aroused but I think this correlates more to the fact that erotica contains sexual themes and qualities.
I equate it with someone taking photographs to document a party in comparison to someone who considers themselves a photographer. Where pornography has the clear intent of documenting a moment for the sake of sexual arousal, erotica focuses more on motive, scene-setting, and developing a mood to evoke sexual contemplation which sometimes comes with arousal.
I don't think that there can be a clear distinction between erotica and pornography because it is dependent on what the audience is getting out of the content. What is pornography to one person could be considered erotica to another and vice versa.
Question:
With this being said about erotica and pornography, do you think the lack of motive in pornography is grounds to consider it not as art?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment